Tuesday, July 28, 2009

MakeMytrip.com First experience

It was a great Friday evening and I had to leave for home, I had a train to catch the train at 2230 hours. And I was in the midst of planning a trip to Pondicherry and I checked a number of travel packages during the day and found the MMT (Make my trip) package for Pondicherry as the best one. So I customized the package on the website and called MMT for the booking. The executive who picked up the phone told me that the package is being shown on the website for 28516/- but actually its 31516/- , I asked that why is that so? She told me that the flight PNRs in the 28516/- are in waiting. Pheww...that was news for me , I had heard that the waiting PNRs were there with the Indian railways only. It was news for me that airlines have started to have waiting PNRs. So I told her ,"Thanks a lot!!!" , I would go for the waiting PNR from the website itself.

And I filled all the details , chose the flight of my choice and was in the process of filling me credit card details when my phone rings and there she is , the MMT girl. Its already 800 PM and she says, "Sir I talked to my manager and he is telling me that you would be able to get the same price on phone too, so please if you have not booked already , book the package from me." I said, "Ok, its not a problem for me as long as I get the package I want at the price I think is right." So I gave a go ahead to her.

From here starts the nightmare. She says now , "I have a cab in 5 minutes , so please give me your credit card number and the other details" . Owing to my good judgment and the newspaper ads of the increasing number of frauds on the internet, I refused to give my card details on the phone. I told her that , " Mam you can confirm the booking , and I can pay tomorrow , if you are getting late for home, I dont want you to miss your cab". She says, "No sir , I have to complete the booking till the payment step right now." I say, "Ok, if that is the case then you have to transfer me to the IVR system and I will dial my card number and details only in the secured IVR" , she tries to Please sir me , but I dont give in to the pleas and I am adamant to enter the card number only on the IVR.

So here she goes , I confirm her three times that I want the morning flight for 710 AM on the day of travelling and at 2010 on the day of return and I wanted a XYZ hotel during the time of my stay there. And she confirms my choices twice and transfers me to the IVR, urging me to hurry up. Something goes wrong and the IVR system disconnects. She again puts me on and IVR confirms the transaction.

And off I go to home tension free and happy that my trip has been made by make my trip. I go home check my mail and to my astonishment the flight that was to be booked for 710 AM has been booked for 1640 PM. Shit!!!! Whats this, I pick up my phone and call the toll free MMT number and inform about this mistake. I am told that ,"Dont worry sir, if you had demanded for the 710 AM flight, we will re-listen to your conversation with the executive and your booking would be changed without you being charged anything." I think thats fair enough. This thing has already started to spoil my weekend fun at home as my mood goes sour.

I make 3 calls the next day and I am told that I would be getting a call by 200 PM. Then I get the extension of Miss MMT who booked my package and she admits that she booked the flight for 700AM. But as she checks what mistake she has done, she gets sheepish and tells me call would be heard and things changed to what you demanded, I tell her , " Mam atleast your dont go to this stuff, you just admitted that the flight was for 700AM" . She tells, " I will call you at 200PM and inform me you what happened."

Bingo, here she called me up at 200PM and now she starts "Sir, I will have to bear a Rs 1500/- loss from my side, so I have some proposition for you, that you take a cab from Chennai to Pondicherry (110 Kms) and it will cost you Rs 5000/- (are you joking me, 5000 for 110 Kms , I dont think I am going to take a Merc)." I tell her, " Sorry , I have already arranged the cab, you please change my flight and I dont know who is charged Rs 1500/-" , She tells me " I would have to use my own credit card to change the flight and then you would be asked for the card by the airline at the time of boarding and you would not have it", I tell her , "No, I have made many flight bookings and changed many too for my brother and none of the airlines have asked for a card anytime , or you can send me a scanned copy of your card to me and I will not misuse it" , She says, "sorry I can't do that". I tell her ,"Ok , I will use my card , but you transfer the 1500/- to my account or credit it to my card." She tells "Let me talk to my manager". Hold ...... She come back and tells" Sir, the amount of 1500/- would be credited to your account, but change the ticket right now, No more than 1500/- would be credited." I tell her to drop me a mail confirming this ,from her official ID. Here comes the mail and here i change the flight booking.

The nightmare has still now ended.Next day I find out that the hotel that has been booked for me for two nights in Chennai and that too for 15 days in advance of my 4 day journey to Pondicherry. Then again the same story, your call would be heard and changes made. My stay in the home stands spoiled big time and I am visiting home after 6 months. But eventually 2 days later, the changes are made. And I think its been a bad experience with MMT, but the nightmare is yet not over.

Next Saturday, when I am again having fun in a waterpark near Delhi, I receive another call from MMT, saying that your money has not been received for the booking. Your card has not been charged, so you need to give the card details again to me on phone. Owing to my good judgement, which I used earlier too, I declined to give any card details on phone. I told her to drop an email from the official ID and since I am out of station I would talk to my bank and then pay the amount tomorrow. She says , "It ok , but please dont delay the payment much or your booking might stand cancelled." Again fun spoiled.
Next day , I reach home and the first thing I do is call my bank. They tell me that the transaction has been already setlled and the money transferred to MMT and give me the Authorization code for the same too. I call back MMT and inform them the same. They forward this to the Accounts department and tell me to wait for another day. Another day of suspense, I urge them not to cancel my booking as the amount has already been debited from my credit card.

Then finally next day, on Monday, I receive a call from MMT that we have received your payment and have cleared this booking. Pheww !!! finally after blowing away two of my fun weekends and giving me 7-8 grey hairs , finally I got the booking I was so close to doing myself and would have saved myself from such a sarcastic adventure. I have still to go on the journey and I hope MMT does not have a fourth nightmare in store for me. Its been an inexplicably horrible first experience with MMT. I even told the last caller to give me something complimentary, but to no avail. The answer was, " Thanks for your patience sir and have a great trip."

So here is my account of my first experience with MMT. Do tell me what you think of this. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home