Saturday, October 08, 2005

The Dentist- A journey

Its been about 5 weeks now that I have a dental appointment every Satuday. So I have the same pattern of journey which I would like to write about. I had to get a RCT(Root Canal Treatment)done and one more long pending crown.
While I was on the way to the dentist ,an earthquake of 6.8 Richter intensity rocked Delhi. But I was commuting at that time so I really didnt feel anything.
Well now begins the journey. I travel 20kms through heavy traffic , zipping throught the traffic and reach a Metro Station. There I park my vehicle and board a metro train which takes me from one corner of delhi to the other (where my dentist is).

I walk about 300 meters and reach the dentist's clinic. I sit and wait for him to call me to sit on that chair. Then he starts the digging , probing , polishing and what not in my mouth. After I am finished with the sitting. I head back to the Metro station and take the train back to the station is boarded earlier and reach back to my vehicle and then again Vrooomm!!!
During my journey ,now since it has been a 5 week affair, I see some common sights everytime I would like to write here. I start and I see the unruly traffic on my way to the Metro station. Its like a back breaking 20kms journey from my home to the boarding station. Traffic sense of people in delhi is approximately zero..haha. When in the train , I see many kind of people, some first timers for the metro looking around in awe the technology called the Delhi Metro (its a real neat job done by the Delhi Metro Corporation) , some MobChatters(read Mobile Chatters), some thinkers , some filling up their admission forms, some reading their course books , some deep into thoughts , some talking like chatterboxes , others onlookers and sitters. As the train starts from the station all kind of people shuffle and move around . I keep standing near the door (closed offcourse) and keep watching what people are doing. I like observing people. Then comes a church on the way, I make sure I find it and see it once on my way to and fro, there comes a bridge over the Yamuna river,then there are other interesting sights on every journey.
This journey to the dentist takes half of my day and now at this time I am thinking of watching a movie in the evening. Lets see how it works out ..I will write about the movie , if I see it..

2 Comments:

Blogger Priyank Gupta said...

I would describe my dentist experience in following words by "Ogden Nash"

***This Is Going To Hurt Just A Little Bit***



One thing I like less than most things is sitting in a dentist chair with
my mouth wide open.

And that I will never have to do it again is a hope that I am against
hope hopen.

Because some tortures are physical and some are mental,
But the one that is both is dental.
It is hard to be self-possessed
With your jaw digging into your chest.

So hard to retain your calm
When your fingernails are making serious alterations in your life line
or love line or some other important line in your palm;

So hard to give your usual effect of cheery benignity
When you know your position is one of the two or three in life
most lacking in dignity.

And your mouth is like a section of road that is being worked on.
And it is all cluttered up with stone crushers and concrete mixers and
drills and steam rollers and there isn't a nerve in your head that
you aren't being irked on.

Oh, some people are unfortunate enough to be strung up by thumbs.
And others have things done to their gums,
And your teeth are supposed to be being polished,
But you have reason to believe they are being demolished.
And the circumstance that adds most to your terror
Is that it's all done with a mirror,
Because the dentist may be a bear, or as the Romans used to say, only
they were referring to a feminine bear when they said it, an ursa,
But all the same how can you be sure when he takes his crowbar in one
hand and mirror in the other he won't get mixed up, the way you
do when you try to tie a bow tie with the aid of a mirror, and forget
that left is right and vice versa?

And then at last he says That will be all; but it isn't because he then
coats your mouth from cellar to roof
With something that I suspect is generally used to put a shine on a
horse's hoof.

And you totter to your feet and think. Well it's all over now and after
all it was only this once.
And he says come back in three monce.

And this, O Fate, is I think the most vicious circle that thou ever sentest,
That Man has to go continually to the dentist to keep his teeth in good
condition when the chief reason he wants his teeth in good condition
is so that he won't have to go to the dentist.

But the poem that seems most profound to me is –

God in his wisdom made the fly.

And then forgot to tell us why.



Anyway.. Nice blog. :-)

11:05 AM  
Blogger Aditya mahajan said...

Hi Tom
Thanks for the nice poem ..I remember we had this poem in our English Literature when we were kids...:)

Yeh Ogden is very rite here ...but now adays the technology has advance so much that its just the opening of my mouth , drying of lips and the gagging that bothers us ...
but yea ...dentist is a necessary devil. .hehe
Nice to see you on my blog..
Cheers!!
Aditya

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home