Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Ad free Opera

Opera removed the ads from the new free Opera 8.5.
Its been seen as a move to share the niche with Firefox. Opera claims to have a better browser then Firefox in terms of speed , stability , features and usability. But Firefox has a lot of plugin support (though its at times cumbersome to download and separately install all the plugins for Firefox) making it quite a great performer.
I am a firefox user and I do like it. Opera's new move to derail firefox can be seen as a potential drain for the Firefox community but I dont think it will affect much. I am not against Opera, I have used it too its a real feature rich browser, but I think regular users of computers do have this Browserophobia (in which they prefer to use one particular browser of their own choice) so maybe Opera's move 6 months earlier had benefitted it more then now.
Though the Norwegian software developer (Opera) claims 2.4m downloads of the ad-free version of the browser since 20 September. But still Opera's browser market share is down at around 2-3 per cent or lower while Firefox has a market share of around 8.8 per cent. I dont think these figures are gonna have sea changes with the ad-free Opera too.
Lets see which browser dons the desktops of the masses...Adi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home